Mindy Lahiri is the main character in Hulu comedy, The Mindy Project (2012).
She is portrayed by Mindy Kaling.
Mindy Lahiri was born on June 24, 1980 and raised in Concord, Massachusetts. She is the daughter of two Indian immigrants, making her a first-generation Indian-American. She has a younger brother who is younger than her by 11 years. She dotes upon him and paid his tuition at Stanford University.
Mindy graduated from Princeton University in 2002, where she met her former friend, Gwen Grandy. She attended medical school at Columbia University. She later remained in New York City, where she did her residency with both Dr. Danny Castellano and Dr. Jeremy Reed under the supervision of Dr. Marc Shulman. After residency, she was accidentally hired by Dr. Shulman to work at the clinic of Shulman & Associates.
Mindy is warm, friendly, confident, bubbly, and vivacious. She is a romantic at heart with a great sense of humor. She is also very feminine, with a love for fashion, decor, celebrities, and romantic comedies. Although she is always frank and occasionally blunt, she usually means well, and her engaging demeanor usually allows others to forgive her any faux pas. Her mind is very analytical, and she uses it to critique everything from work to relationships to food. However, she tempers her critical qualities with warm friendliness, making her very personable. She is also unbelieveably shallow, with an unhealthy preoccupation with the activities of celebrities.
Emotionally, Mindy is very open and available. In relationships, she is tender, sweet, and forthright, as well as open to the possibility. She has no trouble expressing her vulnerabilities and is a trusting individual. And, although she is not always lucky when it comes to love, she is usually extremely lucky when it comes to her choice of friends.
- Mindy used to have a Boston accent.
- She is near-sighted, far-sighted, has astigmatism, pre-cataracts, and is legally blind in Alaska and Hawaii.
- Mindy is prone to stress-barfing.
- In her will, Mindy leaves all her money to Tina Fey because she "thinks she'll spend the money in interesting and responsible ways."
- Mindy would like her children and grandchildren to be socialites.
- Mindy would like to have 4 children and has already picked the name for them, Jaden, Madison, Brie, and Piper
- Mindy's favorite character from "The Princess Bride" is Inigo Montoya.
- Some of the shows Mindy watches are Cheers, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men.
- Mindy only likes eating at chain restaurants because of the service.
- Mindy was featured in her college admissions brochure holding a test tube.
- Mindy enjoys narrating events to her nearby friends like she's in a movie.
- Mindy is a huge "Harry Potter" fan. She once compared Danny to Voldemort and asked Jeremy if Draco Malfoy was a good option for a one night stand.
- She thinks it's strange to see someone you know on the subway and not stand next to them.
- Mindy is afraid of being murdered by a serial killer and sleeps with a mask over her head in the doctor's lounge. She sleeps with a knife under her pillow and slips a knife in her glove when she goes on dates.
- She keeps a pan in her bed for when she needs to write things down before falling asleep.
- She does not like tapas.
- Mindy is a basketball fan, especially of the New York Knicks and the Suns.
- Mindy is a fan of Beyonce, Kate Middleton, Gwyneth Paltrow, Mark Darcy, Joe Fox, Chris Pine, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and James Franco.
- Mindy's patients occasionally name their babies after her in middle name homage.
- Mindy occasionally sleep-shops with her memorized credit card number.
- She passed out in the food drive box at the annual Christmas Party one year.
- Mindy is not very good at saying no and came home with a samurai sword from the flea market. She also bailed her mugger out of jail and bought him a sports coat to go on interviews.
- Her apartment was the site of a garment fire in 1912.
- She is self-conscious about her nose, after having it broken, she told Danny she feels like society will look down on her for not having a perfectly straight nose.
- Mindy has a dog named Tiny, who she adopted from Morgan.