Danny is a main character on Hulu comedy, The Mindy Project (2012).
He is portrayed by Chris Messina.
Danny Castellano was born in 1974 and raised in Staten Island, a borough of New York City. He comes from a working-class family. His mother worked long hours as a maid cleaning Hotel rooms; his father's occupation is unknown, as he left the family when Danny was 13.
Danny graduated from Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons. He then completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology in New York City with both Dr. Mindy Lahiri and Dr. Jeremy Reed; he was considered the best resident by Dr. Shulman. After residency, he was hired by Dr. Marc Shulman as a partner at the practice of Shulman & Associates.
Danny went through a bitter divorce after finding his wife, Christina, in bed with another man. He has no children from this marriage. His thoughts on divorce are negative given the reason for his fallen marriage with Christina.
Danny is blunt, honest, and forthright. He is also extremely arrogant to the point of cockiness and believes himself to be the smartest man in the room. He describes himself as a "wealthy, single, heterosexual male" and "the best doctor in this practice." Very disciplined, he likes having a regimented lifestyle and often believes that his way is the only way. He maintains that people's personal lives should be kept separately from their work lives. However, most of Danny's personal relationships are facilitated through the workplace, and he often participates in personal conversations, despite his stance.
He has a very strong, intense personality capable of running over less assertive personalities; it is best tempered by someone who has an equally strong, assertive character. He is very vocal in his opinions (especially when it comes to Mindy) and often comes across as a jerk. Despite this, he cares deeply about the people around him and is very loyal and dependable.
Although Danny is often a jerk, he is capable of tenderness and kindness towards those he cares deeply about. His actions do not always translate well, but they usually come from a place of genuine good-heartedness and caring.
Mindy Lahiri Edit
(also see Danny and Mindy)
Danny and Mindy met while working together. They initially hated each other but grew to tolerate, befriends, and fall in love with each other. They do break up after dating for a few years but still frequently see each other due to their son, Leo. At the end of season 6, they do get back together.
- Danny started working at Shulman's Women's Health Associates before Mindy and Jeremy.
- Danny likes baseball. His favorite team is the Yankees, and he listens to their games on his little radio.
- He likes boxing.
- Danny keeps an electronic keyboard in his office and is teaching himself how to play. He practices on it during the work day when he is sad or upset.
- Danny likes jazz music, Led Zepplin, Eric Clapton, and Bob Dylan. He does not listen to Rihanna.
- He refuses to do the Christmas Party playlists ever since Mindy deemed him a "party-Hitler" for putting no Rihanna on the playlist and 3 hours of Bob Dylan.
- Danny got into a fistfight with a man who wore a John Mellencamp t-shirt to a Springsteen show.
- Danny wrote a letter to his ex-wife and drew a picture of their unborn child, which he kept hidden in his desk drawer until Morgan mailed it.
- Mindy suspects that Danny's condo looks like a smoky speakeasy where old men go to complain about technology.
- Mindy and Danny share part of their route home. Sometimes they ride the subway together.
- Danny occasionally rides his bike to work.
- He has an ab roller in his office that he likes to work out on sometimes.
- Danny did not get his driver's license until he was 38; all the workers at the DMV know him because he took the test several times. Jeremy was the only other person in the office who knew where he was going.
- Danny views cars as the ultimate symbol of freedom, as they allow a man to take off whenever and wherever.
- Danny is an excellent dancer. His mother enrolled him in dance lessons when he was little, something he got into a lot of fights over.
- Danny chose to spend his Thanksgiving alone in the office, practicing on his keyboard.
- One of Danny's favorite shows is Deadliest Catch.
- Danny is skilled at building gingerbread houses and possibly has a hidden artistic streak.
- Danny likes building things with his hands. He also does not like following directions.
- Danny has read up to "Catching Fire," which is Book 2 of the Hunger Games Trilogy.
- Danny is a terrible liar and will sweat when voicing deception.
- He picked up his last girlfriend (who he nicknamed "Eyepatch") in the ER.
- Danny likes to stick to a set routine and is not overly spontaneous; he balks at performances with odd twists to them or meals scheduled at odd times.
- Danny is jealous of the fact that things come easily to Jeremy.
- Danny wept when his favorite sub-sandwich shop closed.
- Danny went to high school with some of the guys who play the song "Stomp Da Roach (Remix)"
- Danny was a stripper called Diamond Dan during med school in order to pay for school and pay off his mother's mortgage.